Read testimonial »
|Tags||nutrition recipe pilates hormones wellness massage lifestyle 3rd age baking mind set post natal menopause power plate breakfast meditation post-natal womens health mindset lifetsyle pelvic floor show all posts|
HOW DOES YOUR DAY START??
Bleeping alarm, crazy kids, achey bones, snooze button?? (Or all 4?!)
Lately I've found myself really tired when i wake up, so I've turned back to my 'self-care tool-kit' that I've built over the Years (one of things I love to help clients to create too!) If you are anything like me....your finite amount of energy is often challenged by the curve-balls of parenthood, the juggling 🤹♀️ of work & home...not to mention the sleep!
This is why Self-care is Health-care.
Keeping your 'cup' topped up supports your energy for those curve-balls.
Here is my 4 MUST go-to solutions for a feel-good morning. These are all quick to do for busy households!! - I hope these are useful for you. If so, do let me know!
Sometimes the best thing sounds just too simple to be true...but if you know me...you know how I harp on about water!
500ml on a morning not only increases our metabolism by 30% for 2 hours, it also floods the system with goodness, and gets us moving!
If you imagine compressing on our muscles all night long, in the same way to compressing a sponge - all the water gets squeezed out. Pump the water back in by offering water & then also moving too (choose your favourite pilates move here!)
2. ESSENTIAL OILS
If you have woken up groggy...essential oils are amazing for stimulating our brain! Research has shown how inhlaling oils goes to work on our limbic brain & helps calm the nervous system.
Certain oils have different properties - choose a roll-on, rub into your palms & inhale for best results:
Peppermint - for focus
Orange - for lifting our mood!
Lavendar - for relaxation
Bergamot - for relieving anxiety
I made a 'clarity' blend that has many of these in - do have a tester when you next pop in!
With Daddy's big bike ride 🚴♂️ & Joshuas Sports day 🏅🤸♂️last week....energy balls were NEEDED!
Joshua asked if these were gonna make him run fast....& they did!!
This is a brilliant recipe from Wild Nutrition - the fabulous nutritionist that makes the food grown supplements that we stock here at Vitality🙏
These are PERFECT as a family friendly recipe, and if you are watching sugar content to help you with hormone balance, & steady energy!
- 80g desiccated coconut
- 100g almond flour
- 2-3 tbsp almond butter 9I got htis from Aldi)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder (I got this from Aldi)
- 2 lemons, juice & the yellow zest 🍋🍋
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 40g protein powder (I used @sunwarrioruk)
- Vanilla paste
Are you a new Mama?? Then you will find this useful. If you know a new Mama, please share this post with your tired friend that's just birthed a baby!
These are things I wish I'd known 6 Years ago when I had Joshua. There are literally just two things I needed to nail down, and no it wasn't to keep on top of allll the washing, or getting the perfect bedtime routine!!
1. Keep baby well
2. Keep breathing (you & baby)
EVERYTHING else could have waited.
With the arrival of the new Royal Baby, Meghan & Harry have already been asked if he's a good baby & if he sleeps well (!!)
I remember layering new Mum-guilt on myself, about Joshuas routines & if I was doing it right...just so we are clear here, every baby is good....and they all have different routines. Circle back to point 1. & 2. and you are doing great!
Things that can also help...
- Ask for food! You need the energy right now, as you are in recovery. No shaming the biscuits here...AND also eat some stuff with high vit C & zinc content for repair: free-range meats, chickpeas, lentils, seeds, eggs are all great. I also love the food-grown supplements from Wild Nutrition (this isn't sponsored, I just love them.
- Sleep when baby sleeps. Yes I know there is so much talk of losing the baby weight, and some claim to exercise or run around doing household stuff whilst baby sleeps. SERIOUSLY, sleep when the baby sleeps, it's super important for your repair.
- Listen to your body. If you have pain, discomfort, or leak on the way to the loo or when you cough, laugh or sneeze beyond the early days - Your body is talking to you. Seeking out a professional to help you to repair well & gradually progress in a well structured way with the right exercises for you as a post-natal Mum is HUGE. Holistic Core Restore Coaches can be really helpful. As a HCR coach, we specialise in pelvic floor & core recovery. The pre-screen is thorough & we can help direct you to the right course of action for you (like a Womans Health Physio first, for example).
I hope you found this useful - please do share with your Mum friends & let's get empowered Mums feeling good!
Take care x
For many Women, constipation & irregular bowel movements are a real issue & can have detrimental affects on our pelvic floor & core health. It is a lot of pressure on the pelvic floor, and can be a real concern, esecially if you also have other symptoms for prolapse.
So...you'll be pleased to know there are some yummy solutions!
This banana bread is full of fibre & flax seeds which are known to reliev constipation.
This is actually freezer friendly & gets the family seal of approval too! (win, win)
If you try this out, let me know how it goes!
- 2 cups ground almonds (also known as almnd flour)
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1-2 tbsp cacao powder (depending on how chocolately you want it!)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees c.
Add all the dry ingredients into a bowl, mix & then add all the wet ingredients, & mix well.
Line a bread tin with baking paper, then pour the mixture in.
Bake for 45 minutes, then check it's ready by sticking a knife in the middle (it should come out clean) cook for longer if required.
Happy baking & happy bowels :-)
If you like this recipe, I bet you will love my 6 week Holistic Core Restore Course - we start Thurs 6th June at 7.15pm & combine movement, nutrition & lifetime access to videoed homework. All the details here.